Saturday, May 06, 2006

surprise surprise

I will never forget their reactions and the words they let out.

An ordinary Thursday noon turned out to be one that will be remembered and talked about a lot by my family and myself. It was a planned surprise return from Tokyo to my hometown Malacca, right till the very doorstep of my parents' house, the place where I grew up. As I got out from the cab that I took from the airport, and appeared right in front of my mom and dad, it went like this:

Dad : My son is back! How come my son is back?!
(my dad was on his cell talking to someone as he spoke these words)

Mom : Hey, you are back! How come you are back? Why are you here?
(mom's expression was a mixure of a little surprised, a little worried, and a little delighted)

Then, about a half a minute later.

Hao (my brother) : Hey, am I dreaming??
(he was still asleep when I walked in but heard my voice and my dad's words above so he schlepped his way out with his sleepy legs, eyes half opened)

After everyone took some time to sink in and realized that the entire picture was indeed real, confused faces turned into big smiles.

I will never forget those smiles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a cloudy morning, reading your this really quite warmth message here and even could imagine your dad and mom reaction from your words. But tell you one thing...YOU ARE VERY NAUGHTY!!! Gave your parents this kind of surprise but I am sure your family are very happy. Anyway welcoming back...

Sean Tham said...

haha...indeed you gave me a shock..haha..at that time..i was awake..but still taking my time on the bed..suddenly..heard dad's voice...i was thinking "har??my son is back???"..there could only be a son in this tiny house...and my brother told me he was busy working in japan..sometimes until late night...so..i hurry get out from my room and have a look myself...WOW...is my brother...haha..am i dreaming or what...haha...but feel really good to have you back...yokoso Mareishia!!yokoso uchi!!

Asther said...

Ei? If this was a surprise trip, how come your Uncle Raymond managed to plan the Redang trip so in advanced?